Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hangout Hoodie FLIP!!

I've been thoroughly enjoying the Flip this Pattern series over on Frances Suzanne.  I have no yet participated, but when I saw the Hangout Hoodie was coming up from one of my most favorite pattern designers, I just couldn't resist this go round!  I very rarely stick to a pattern 100%, so this was right up my alley.  

So I present to you my flipped creation: 


 It's pretty much just a hoodie, but with a few (I think) awesome modifications.  The most obvious, a zipper!  I love everything about the hangout hoodie, except for the placket.  I just wasn't a fan of the half-open half-closed can't-decide-what-it-wants-to-be look.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, just not my style.  But I loved the contrast placket and how it extended into binding for the hood.  I tried to preserve that as best I could, just adding a zipper to keep things together. 

 

Other modification:
-I went two sizes up so I could use microfllece for the body to give it more of a sweatshirt feel. 
-I made my hood much bigger/deeper.  I like a hood with good coverage!
-Lined the hood so I could have a fun accent.
-Added a lined kangaroo pocket based off of a sweatshirt he already had.
-Elbow patches! Because who doesn't love a good elbow patch!
-Fun topstitching where the sleeves and cuffs meet to look like a coverstitch. 



 Overall, I am so pleased with how this came out!! It's seriously one of my most favorite things I have ever sewn!





Flip This Pattern

2 comments:

  1. I love the zipper--it makes for a much more polished looking garment. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SUPER cute!! Love the color combination, and addition of the zipper on the placket!!

    ReplyDelete